General News 10/31/2018 The Road Ahead Update

Discussion in 'News' started by a rabbit, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Server Status
    Hi Guest,

We have an issue with the chatbox when we updated to the weather build. The dev seems to claimed that they have fixed this bug in the IWBUMS version.

To join the server, please install the IWBUMS version via the beta tab.

Your friendly Dorumon,
    jianmingyong
  2. ROLEPLAYER OF THE MONTH

Winners for July:

Draco
    Joe

Both players won a FREE Item Rename.

If you'd like to vote for someone for August 

Vote Here

Dismiss Notice
  3. Information

View the lore information BEFORE posting an application.

Event Notices

>Click here to view<

Character Creation Information

>Click here to view<

Lore Information

>Click here to view<

4. Factions News

Click the link to view information regarding playable IC Factions

>> Click HERE for Lore Information <<

Dismiss Notice
  1. a rabbit

a rabbit Administrator
    Staff Member Senior Admin

Hello everybody!

This is long overdue, but it's about time that I give a basic rundown on the status of the server as a whole, where we're at on the admin side of things, and why exactly it's taking so damn long to get this next section for the lore out. I'll try and cover things as best I can and am happy to answer any questions that you may have (as long as they aren't too revealing), so please leave any if you have them.

-x-
    • The server.
    As most of you know, on October 21st the server suffered numerous map-corrupting errors for reasons that are unknown to us and forced a total map wipe. This happened at an incredibly bad time for us on the admin-side of things, as the week that it occurred was a week that was deliberately left clear of any events or things that required heavy admin presence, as the vast majority of us were busy with IRL responsibilities (including myself). Now, this is where we started to make a few mistakes. Firstly, I'd like to apologize for the near-constant setbacks we've had with bringing the server back up. Frankly, we should have never announced a time for the server to come back up if we were not 100% confident that we could make the time in the first place. Nevertheless, we were forced to move the date back not once but twice due to doing just that. The fault for this is entirely on me as a head admin, as it's my responsibility (however busy I am with real life) to make sure that these sorts of mistakes don't occur. This isn't an apology from the admin team necessarily, it's an apology from me personally. So, with that said, there is currently no confirmed date for when the server will be ready to go live. This is for reasons that I will detail further below.
    • The admin team.
    It's come to my attention that there's quite a bit of talk that we've become disinterested with the current lore, or that we're no longer able to put in the time requirements to keep things moving efficiently. I am 200% confident that all of our admins are still fully on board with continuing the current lore until its end (which is not too far away), but unfortunately as I said above, this entire issue hit us at the worst possible time. I will not reveal any personal info out of respect for the privacy of the other admins, but between some of them having multiple school projects coming up, work, and in some cases familial emergencies, it's been tough just trying to squeeze out even minimal amounts of time. Please understand that this is not a trend that is going to continue from this point onward, it's simply a matter of terrible timing.
    • The next lore.
    For some good news, the story and plot aspects of the next lore are mostly complete. The only real thing preventing us from starting the next lore tomorrow if we wanted to is map construction. Without revealing too much information, I can say that next lore's map is entirely custom-built by us as a team (specifically El Cid, who is a god with the map editing tools). What this means however is that getting this amount of building done will take time--time that, even if we were to stop everything we're working on with this current lore, won't get expedited any faster. Nevertheless, understand that it is coming--a lot of love is getting put into it, so look forward to what (should) be a smoother New Dawn lore than has ever been done before.
    • The server (part 2).
    As I said in the first section, I am hesitant to make another date for when we are able to go live again. The main reason for this is that although we are 95% done with what we need to finish, we've recently come into some more issues with the recent release of Build 40. Now I can't confirm that this will stay this way as we're currently looking for a solution, but right now as of the moment I am writing this, the new update seems to have caused some more server-side errors for us (not map corrupting ones thankfully, but errors nonetheless). As you can probably guess, this is making that last 5% of work grind to a standstill until we can figure out how to fix things. Once more let me clarify that this is not confirmed, but should we be unable to find a solution, it's entirely possible that we may have to wipe the map again and start over from scratch. Now before you start screaming to the sky, I can say that thankfully many of us on the admin team will have a ton more time to dedicate to prepping this next stage of the lore once we hit the weekend. Should we have to restart, redoing everything we've worked on up until this point won't take nearly as long to complete. The reason I do not say that we will simply end the lore right there (should another wipe occur) is that at this current moment in time, we're not able to work on the next lore's map until things are finished with the map editing tools. What this means is that ending the current lore right now wouldn't let us work on the next lore any faster. So, should the worst-case scenario occur, have faith that the final stage of The Road Ahead WILL go live, it will simply be a case of more waiting.

-x-
    To wrap things up, I'd like to thank you guys for being so patient with us. At the end of the day, none of us are paid to do this, so all of the time we dedicate to working here is volunteered on top of whatever responsibilities we have in the real world. Some of you have inquired about us needing or wanting more admins (with some of you even having apps in already), but I am hesitant to add new members to the team until after The Road Ahead has ended (if your admin application has not been responded to yet, this is why, it doesn't mean you've been rejected). Unfortunately, Zomboid is the opposite of intuitive on the admin-side of things, which means that getting new admins started is just another thing that would be added to an already cluttered list of things to do. On top of that, becoming an admin essentially means sacrificing much of your enjoyment for the lore, as a lot of your play time will get moved into events and such (as well as lore info becoming available to you, ruining much of the surprise), and we're reluctant to do that to any of you so close to the end of the lore itself--especially given how long you've already waited to see it through.

All in all, if this news wasn't exactly what you were looking for then I apologize, but there's little I can do to change our situation at this point except to chug right along and get things done. Rest assured that this next segment of the lore is coming out, one way or another. I hope you all have a happy Halloween and a good rest of your week. Cheers!

#1 a rabbit, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Warden, Devon, Alex12 and 2 others like this.
  2. BigDaddy666

BigDaddy666 Member

Happy Halloween boi!

3. Jack Rogers

Jack Rogers Member

Cheers love

4. ThaisQorva

ThaisQorva Administrator
    Staff Member Lore Moderator

Thanks for writing this up, Rabbit. It's definitely been a long delay, but I know that you guys are working hard on it. Please keep the flow of communication open so we know what's going on in the meantime :)

A few questions, if they can be answered in any manner.

1.) The Transition Event - Any hints we might have now about it to hold us over?

2.) With the continuation of this lore moving onto a new map, will we receive new rules and setups of mods to work with? (PvP/PvZ)

3.) Without making any promises of dates, how much more time will need to be devoted to the New Lore and its' map before it'll be available? A Month? More?

5. Bill Chompski

Bill Chompski New Dawn Lifer

Is the next lore gonna be like this, and to a lesser extent, Ashwood?
    I mean a lot of admin involvement, "quests", preset episodes with a main overhanging story, like that.
    Or is it gonna be like our older lores, where stuff is more player driven, and the admins might run events, but there's no real episode or mission things.

6. a rabbit

a rabbit Administrator

Next lore we intend on diving into the quest system even more than we did in The Road Ahead. In a sense, it makes it player-driven a bit more than it was this lore, as if certain quests (that don’t require an npc to be online) aren’t completed or are left undiscovered (such as in a secret part of the map), it can change how future events play out, which we have pre-planned in advance. In other words, yes there will be a good bit of admin involvement, but there will also be a ton of player influence on the lore as well that doesn’t require admin intervention at all.

7. ThaisQorva

ThaisQorva Administrator
    Staff Member Lore Moderator

Well, Original Post said that they were happy to answer any questions, but mine were not touched. I had hoped for something. . :bored:

It's been 15 Days since server went down and the 'Work-Weekend' has passed. Can we get another update on Server Status? Still being worked on? Errors/Custom Building? What is going on?

You guys are about as transparent as Milk.

DrBezz likes this.
  8. John/Jane Doe

John/Jane Doe Still Alive.

Milk isn't very transparent, in case the analogy was missed.

9. a rabbit

a rabbit Administrator

I'll be honest that I simply didn't see your questions--for some reason I wasn't given a notification for them when you posted, and I only just answered Bill's questions on my phone, so I likely skipped over them in mistake.
    1. I really don't want to spoil anything (because personally I find it pretty damn cool, and should be a memorable event for everyone that attends), but I can say that it will be a bit of a trip. :)
    2. Any new rules would be announced with the server going live, but as of this moment, no, there are no plans for rule changes.
    3. The guy in charge of our new lore map skeleton had to take a short break to take care of IRL things, but seeing as he's back in action, we'll be returning to work on it ASAP. Once this lore concludes, we'll be able to hopefully take in some new admins who can help speed construction along as well. Ultimately--and take this with a massive grain of salt--I want to say the new map can be completed in its entirety in under a month from now, but that's not counting if things come up for people, as well as the busyness of the holidays.
    In any case, if there's no news, assume that things are as they were last said to be. The map bug was fixed, and we're pretty much done with everything as it stands now (technically speaking, we could hold the event tomorrow if we wanted). The only question is how many of our players are even able to make a weeknight event that could last hours? Probably not many.

One last thing:

I get you guys are getting impatient at this point (it's been a long wait after all) but the attitude is unnecessary. Those of us who are able are working as fast as possible to get this done (especially Devon, who is usually going at it for hours and hours at a time), and frankly the near constant private messages and discord pings complaining about the wait do nothing to help. A final date is getting worked out, but do know that 100% without a doubt the delay will not extend any farther than this Saturday. It is technically possible to have the event before then, but we want to allow as many of you to attend the event as possible, so we're currently discussing which day would be best. Thank you all for your understanding.

DrBezz and Devon like this.
  10. Devon

Devon Administrator
    Staff Member Lore Moderator Contributor + Contributor

To add onto this, what I can say is:

There will be a post-launch map posted, as well as new forum content. It has already been created and is simply waiting for the post-launch to be posted.

The content will be clear-cut. But there will also be a forum game to accompany our client-based one. It's something new, but I feel it'll really add a lot to the lore. The assets for this are ready to be posted upon launch.

There will also be information posted about the lore's overall design, as well as character apps, new characters, and insight onto some of the new things being tried out.

There are several things being tried which I feel are really special, and I'm really excited to hopefully see something which hasn't been done before, ever, alongside players and admins alike.

Cheers

#10 Devon, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  11. John/Jane Doe

I want a milkshake due to the previous mention of milk. Don't bring up food/beverages around me, I can't handle the cravings.

AmongTheCold likes this.
  12. Warden

Warden All-Powerful Manlet
    Contributor + Contributor

https://www.cnet.com/news/this-japanese-water-is-actually-milk-tea/

Transparent milk AND tea.

And obviously, the server will be released in 2 days for my birthday since I am special. Everyone is mandated to attend. 100% server attendance for hours

jk u actually think ill spend my birthday with u nerds? hah you thought!

13. Cupa

Cupa New Member

Kinda fun the fact of any character of mine dying before a big event :/

14. John/Jane Doe

Goddamn it.... I misinterpreted the analogy. I... I was mistaken. This is a humbling day. Thais, I'm sorry I misinterpreted what you were trying to say.

ThaisQorva and Warden like this.
  15. a rabbit

a rabbit Administrator

Update: The server will go live on SATURDAY @ 8 pm EST!

Please note that the launch event will be taking place throughout the weekend and a bit into the week as well, so if you can't attend saturday, you'll still be able to participate in the launch.

Server Status RolePlayer of the Month Information Factions
-->