12/13/18 Newsletter & Q&A

Discussion in 'News' started by MindGate, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Information

View the lore information BEFORE posting an application.

Event Notices

>Click here to view<

Character Creation Information

>Click here to view<

Lore Information

>Click here to view<

2. Factions News

Click the link to view information regarding playable IC Factions

>> Click HERE for Lore Information <<

Dismiss Notice
  1. MindGate

MindGate Totally Overkill
    Staff Member Lore master

12/12/18 Newsletter Update:

Hey, everyone. I just wanted to give an update on the status of the server and what’s been going on behind the scenes with this lore, paired with some tidbits of information for the next. I’ll also be going into detail on what exactly has been happening with our admins and why we’ve seen a bit of a hit on activity.

Admins:

As I’m certain everyone has well noticed, we’ve seen a hit of inactivity on the admin side for this lore. I’ll be the first to offer my sincere apologies for this and I know we have as a collective unit let quite a few of you down. This is due to a number of personal issues coming up for most of us, from medical issues, to personal losses and more. For the sake of privacy, I’ll leave it at that.

The Next Lore & Forward:

Now, onto brighter news. As I’m sure most of you are aware of by now, there have been rumblings of a new lore and I’m here to confrim just that, a new lore. It’s been in development for a couple of months now and will feature a number of exciting new things including a fully custom map developed by our resident elderly man, El_Cid.

This lore will take place in Astoria, Oregon in 2006. This story will center around a newly developed mega-plex mall (no, nobody will have to stay in the mall) plopped right in the center of a working-class town. I unfortunately cannot reveal any more details but I can assure you that we’re all very excited for this new lore. It’s been amazing on our end to be able to have a full development cycle for once and I’m sure this new lore will be an incredible experience for all of us. We are currently aiming to release more details over the holidays.

We will also be revising our rules, for now, I can only tell you we’re going to answer a previously established complaint with our no-return characters rule. This is being changed back to the way it was, you will be able to play characters from previous lores with the exception of characters featured in The Road Ahead.

In Conclusion

I hope this has all cleared things up, I’ll be answering questions as fast as I can get to them if anyone has any! (Bare in mind, I can only answer so much regarding the next lore.)

2. AmongTheCold

AmongTheCold Active Member
    Contributor

Any clarification of what type of lore this will be? Narrative focused, more of a player agency type of thing? Can we expect any surprises with the zombies rather than standard Romero zombies?

MindGate likes this.
  3. MindGate

Staff Member Lore master

Q: (AmongTheCold): Any clarification of what type of lore this will be? Narrative focused, more of a player agency type of thing? Can we expect any surprises with the zombies rather than standard Romero zombies?

A: (MindGate): I can confirm it will have a strong mixture between narrative and player freedom. I've designed this as a lore where you can do your own thing and have fun fucking off or follow the plot as written, nobody will be forced into having to follow it. Each event will have branching paths and a metric fuck-ton of choices and outcomes which will ultimately shape the way the lore and the universe reacts/changes. It'll allow for a lot of leeway, I'd point towards a mix between early Ashwood and the proper segments at the very beginning of this lore.

As for zombies, I cannot promise there won't be surprises but I'd keep my eye on the idea that they'll be groomed towards the standard Romero variety.

John/Jane Doe and Warden like this.
  4. Warden

Warden All-Powerful Manlet
    Manlet Emperor Contributor + Contributor

Will there a pre-apocalypse phase of this lore? If so, how long will it be? Any specific starting date?

Edit: By date, I meant down to the day and such. Was thinking - if it's anywhere close to November 7, mid-term elections might be a small, but fun detail to develop in-character.Get immersed in roleplaying participating in national politics (or abstaining) just for the fun of it.

MindGate likes this.
  5. MindGate

Staff Member Lore master

Q: (Warden): Will there a pre-apocalypse phase of this lore? If so, how long will it be? Any specific starting date? By date, I meant down to the day and such. Was thinking - if it's anywhere close to November 7, mid-term elections might be a small, but fun detail to develop in-character.Get immersed in roleplaying participating in national politics (or abstaining) just for the fun of it.

A: (MindGate): I can confirm it will have a pre-apocalypse phase. I cannot tell you how long it'll last, but there will be a sincere and large focus on this segment. It'll be vital to the lore and less of a novelty tack-on. I also cannot tell you what month/date it'll be as it stands, all I can say is that there is a chance we may go for a fall/winter setting.

Warden likes this.
  6. VCarrasola

VCarrasola Master of the Crops Nation

Any estimated time for when this will be launching? I have 3 months of vacations and I swear to God that if you start in march like this year, I'll meme up

MindGate likes this.
  7. MindGate

Staff Member Lore master

Q: (VCarrasola): Any estimated time for when this will be launching? I have 3 months of vacations and I swear to God that if you start in march like this year, I'll meme up

A: (MindGate): We are currently aiming to launch sometime after the holidays for convenience for the admin team and the majority of the player base. We do not have a specific time settled on after that, but we will be releasing more general lore information over Christmas.

VCarrasola likes this.
  8. John/Jane Doe

John/Jane Doe Still Alive.

Less of a question and more of a comment, but I'm excited for this mash up of a large business coming in and fucking small town USA. Works real well for a character I have in mind and is just a fun thing to revolve some roleplay around.

Also, I live like an hour and a half outside of Astoria so I'm pretty excited to have a lore near home! If any of you guys, admin or player, have questions about life in Northern Oregon you can hit me up.

Espa, MindGate and Warden like this.
  9. El Cid

El Cid The Old Man (apparently)
    The Old Man

First off, it's El Cid, not El_Cid, I don't need no underscore. Also, let's hope the map turns out good lmao. I can for sure say there will be plenty of housing options.

jianmingyong and Star like this.
  10. John/Jane Doe

John/Jane Doe Still Alive.

Well, I've been to Astoria lmao. So if you want someone to check your work or give you names of some shops / chains popular in the area, I'm your dude ;)

There best be a dispensary.

Espa and Warden like this.
  11. jianmingyong

jianmingyong Website Developer - The Dialga Team
    Staff Member Manlet Warrior Owner

@Warden Received his first title. Manlet Emperor

Warden likes this.
  12. xxvenomxxbro

xxvenomxxbro Member
    Contributor

Question. Are we going to have factions like from what I recall with the start of this lore? I.e. Police/ SWAT/ FEMA/ Coast Guard/ EMS/ Etc. ?

Warden and Manic Pixie like this.
  13. MindGate

Staff Member Lore master

Q: (xxvenomxxbro): Question. Are we going to have factions like from what I recall with the start of this lore? I.e. Police/SWAT/FEMA/Coast Guard/EMS/ Etc.?

A: (MindGate): Yes. We will be using a job assignment page for those of you who need help picking an occupation--these will not expressly work as factions, however. Some occupations may bleed some "faction" esque behavior through, but most will not. Additionally, SWAT/FEMA will be unplayable, same goes for any active-duty military characters.

Warden likes this.
  14. Jpurts776

Jpurts776 Member

Question, Deus Vult?

15. MindGate

Staff Member Lore master

Q: (Jpurts776): Question, Deus Vult?

A: (MindGate): Yes.

16. Manic Pixie

Manic Pixie Dream Girl
    Contributor

A few q's:

Are there gonna be special pre-lore processes for things like getting houses and businesses? Will there be hard limits on character archetypes (e.g., mechanics, former military, medical professionals, etc.), and if so, will those slots be given out based on merit or a first come, first served basis? Will the elderly gentleman's custom-made map have an OOC map that we can use to familiarize ourselves with Astoria?

17. MindGate

Staff Member Lore master

SPECIAL Q&A ANSWER BLOWOUT SALE

Q: (Manic Pixie):
    Are there gonna be special pre-lore processes for things like getting houses and businesses?

A: (MindGate): Undetermined when it comes to houses. We are strongly considering just allowing anyone to claim whatever houses upon launch with no admin intervention. Businesses, yes, we will be listing most of the business POIs on the forums and allow people to apply to own them.

Q: (Manic Pixie): Will there be hard limits on character archetypes (e.g., mechanics, former military, medical professionals, etc.), and if so, will those slots be given out based on merit or a first come, first served basis?

A: (MindGate): As previously mentioned somewhere, yes. We are going to be capping things like military, police, and likely medical professionals. I'm not certain right now when it comes to mechanics. However, we will be judging these the same way we did this lore, if you apply first, we will keep you into considerations but frankly, those of you who submit the more compelling/well-written application are likely going to be accepted over a crappy application that was submitted first. These applications will be heavily, heavily vetted and heavily, heavily capped.

Q: (Manic Pixie): Will the elderly gentleman's custom-made map have an OOC map that we can use to familiarize ourselves with Astoria?

A: (MindGate): Undetermined. I'd say we'll try and do it, but it is a bit of work from what the old man has told me. If it's doable for him, we will, otherwise we may look into other means such as posting direct POI cords. It'll all depend on what Cid is able to do on that front.

18. El Cid

El Cid The Old Man (apparently)
    The Old Man

Custom ooc map like Ashwoods would be pretty difficult at this point. I might be able to cook up something basic, but priority 1 is getting the stupid thing done.

19. Manic Pixie

Manic Pixie Dream Girl
    Contributor

If there's no OOC map, it might be helpful to be granted a sort of grace period to just run around the map OOC and try to get familiar with it. If the map is really large, roleplaying on it without any idea of where things are might be difficult—particularly if you're trying to play a native or local.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Isn't that the Pre-Apoc?