12/13/18 Newsletter & Q&A

Discussion in 'News' started by MindGate, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Information

View the lore information BEFORE posting an application.

Event Notices

>Click here to view<

Character Creation Information

>Click here to view<

Lore Information

>Click here to view<

2. Factions News

Click the link to view information regarding playable IC Factions

>> Click HERE for Lore Information <<

Dismiss Notice
  1. Manic Pixie

Manic Pixie Dream Girl
    Contributor

The pre-apoc would include roleplay. I'm talking about a small period of time where we aren't expected to be IC and can just run around the map figuring out where everything is.

Warden likes this.
  2. Tucker

Tucker The Canadian Moose

Can't you do both at the same time. . . ? I don't see why there has to be a dedicated portion of time for exploration. Could easily just go for a 10 or 15 minute drive on your first session and familiarize yourself with the surrounding locations. I doubt anyone will give you a pop quiz of all the locations the moment you log on.

Edit: Besides, I have a feeling it'll be like Ashwood with an initial spawn, everyone finds their houses and then an announcement is made for RP to start. That's just my wild guess.

Alex12 and Warden like this.
  3. John/Jane Doe

John/Jane Doe Still Alive.

3, 2, 1... AND LET THE ROLEPLAY BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Alex12

Alex12 Member

*skips red light*

5. Manic Pixie

Manic Pixie Dream Girl
    Contributor

I'd rather not bump into people, be forced to roleplay, and not know where I even am. Just me, I guess.

And the key difference between locales and lores, here, is that we had a map in Ashwood, and I used it extensively to get around town until I knew where I was going.

6. Oddish

Oddish New Member

I assume this is what people will be doing the first day the map opens while looking around picking out their houses.

7. Bill Chompski

Bill Chompski Active Member

If we decide to play a homeless character, will we be allowed to squat and or pilfer wherever we like? I mean OOCly. Of course doing that is gonna bring setting consequences like possible police interaction. Cause I know that stockpiling and gathering loot before shit is even getting real is stoopid, but if we had an IC reason to, say, break into an abandoned (as in, unclaimed and not in use by PCs or NPCs) farm. Would we be allowed to stay there (without claiming it), and, say, if we were starving, steal the ancient cans from said abandoned buildings shelves? And not stockpile shit, of course.
    Speaking of farms and businesses, will money be prominent? Giving people paychecks depending on their current career, paying rent, buying things, etc.
    Because buying things is good.
    (And if you don't plan on giving paychecks, why not have a pawn shop around, to keep money flowing.)

John/Jane Doe likes this.
  8. John/Jane Doe

Bill, I got a homeless character too. We can squat together.

Bill Chompski and Warden like this.
  9. Star

Star Rp Addict
    Contributor

This goes with what bill said about paychecks, working and renting...

Will it be like ashwood? Where you can work in a grocery store, own a cafe, run a dollar store or gas station, and if so can there be rules? Last time no one really ran the stores, most wanted to hangout in their homes.. there was like noone working the stores. Or will the store be "npc" ran with honor system and if some one wants to run it they can or can " be hired" by the npc. Oh and are we doing the deliver truck thing if we own a store cause last time it was hard to keep stores stocked.

#29 Star, Dec 23, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    Alex12 and Bill Chompski like this.
  10. Bill Chompski

Bill Chompski Active Member

Oh hell yeah man, time to eat trash and pawn bullshit

11. MindGate

MindGate Totally Overkill
    Staff Member Lore master

Take a break for a day and come back to all these questions, jeez. Here are all the responses you've long been waiting for! I'll pre-warn you, I don't know how many more questions I'll be answering here, in the next few days a few new posts should be up and ready for all of you all.

Q: (Bill Chompski): If we decide to play a homeless character, will we be allowed to squat and or pilfer wherever we like? I mean OOCly. Of course doing that is gonna bring setting consequences like possible police interaction. Cause I know that stockpiling and gathering loot before shit is even getting real is stoopid, but if we had an IC reason to, say, break into an abandoned (as in, unclaimed and not in use by PCs or NPCs) farm. Would we be allowed to stay there (without claiming it), and, say, if we were starving, steal the ancient cans from said abandoned buildings shelves? And not stockpile shit, of course.

Speaking of farms and businesses, will money be prominent? Giving people paychecks depending on their current career, paying rent, buying things, etc.
    Because buying things is good.
    (And if you don't plan on giving paychecks, why not have a pawn shop around, to keep money flowing.)

A: (MindGate): Great question. So long as the building isn't claimed, yes, we'll allow you to squat but there are chances that you may run into encounters with the police if someone reports you, obviously. I don't mind the homeless characters doing these things as it adds something for you lot to do rather than just hide in alleyways, feel free within our already established rules. Money will be prominent, right now we'll probably start out with everyone receiving a set amount of starter money as we've done in many past pre-outbreak lores. As for paychecks, this will fall onto the player business owners to set wages and whatnot, as for pawn shops, we will probably allow this to become a player role as well. These will all be possible roles for players to fulfill, though.

Q: (Star): This goes with what bill said about paychecks, working and renting...

Will it be like ashwood? Where you can work in a grocery store, own a cafe, run a dollar store or gas station, and if so can there be rules? Last time no one really ran the stores, most wanted to hangout in their homes.. there was like noone working the stores. Or will the store be "npc" ran with honor system and if some one wants to run it they can or can " be hired" by the npc. Oh and are we doing the deliver truck thing if we own a store cause last time it was hard to keep stores stocked.

A: (MindGate): Yes, we will be doing these things. However, I don't remember these things being an issue in said lore, I regularly found the main stores running. I can't speak for this, we can't exactly force people to only maintain the stores. We will have to discuss this matter with the team and come to a decision, but the likely answer is the rules will remain as they've been in past lores. And yes, we will probably have a general catalogue players can buy stuff from with more generalized/streamlined prices over everything being individually priced.

Bonus:

As I previously stated, we are likely going to make a list of general POIs with attached coordinates to aid with map navigation. I'm sure by this point just about everyone plans to use the first day to learn the map, but I don't think we're going to tell people to not roleplay for said occasion, either.

John/Jane Doe and Bill Chompski like this.
  12. John/Jane Doe

How close are you going to model this lore off of real life Astoria in 2006? Is it supposed to be a replica of life in that environment, or is it just using reality as a guideline?

Warden likes this.
  13. MindGate

Staff Member Lore master

Please remain on topic. Gifs/memes should be kept on the proper thread.

14. Jack Rogers

Jack Rogers Administrator
    Staff Member Meme King of New Dawn Lore Moderator Contributor

@MindGate Removed it at your request, my apologies.

MindGate likes this.
  15. evan466

evan466 New Member

Slightly related, but build 41 is up next with a lot of animation/clothing changes. I'm not sure when exactly that is coming out, could be a year from now, but it seems like it will be a fairly major update. How might that affect your guy's world? I don't know how you guys have handled updates in the past.

16. jianmingyong

jianmingyong Website Developer - The Dialga Team
    Staff Member Manlet Warrior Owner

Usually update should be seamless and a simple save and restart. If it is map breaking, we may stay in the weather build if it is available to avoid breaking any stuff.

Don't worry as we have daily snapshots of our world so if there's any corruption, it is easy to revert it.

MindGate likes this.
  17. MindGate

Staff Member Lore master

Jian answered this best.