Input Requested Global Radio Discussion

Discussion in 'Server' started by a rabbit, Jul 19, 2018.

1. ROLEPLAYER OF THE MONTH

Winners for July:

Draco
    Joe

Both players won a FREE Item Rename.

If you'd like to vote for someone for August 

Vote Here

Dismiss Notice
  2. Information

View the lore information BEFORE posting an application.

Event Notices

>Click here to view<

Character Creation Information

>Click here to view<

Lore Information

>Click here to view<

3. Factions News

Click the link to view information regarding playable IC Factions

>> Click HERE for Lore Information <<

Dismiss Notice
?

Which system would you like to see used?

1. System 1

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. System 2

17 vote(s)
    68.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a rabbit

a rabbit Administrator
    Staff Member Senior Admin

Hey there!

I wanted to bring this back into the forefront of discussion. I know we had a thread similar to this not long ago, but we are close to making our decision on the admin side. Before we do however, I want to see some final bits of feedback between you all. Right now, we are looking at two different options to go with when considering the use of radios in-game:

1. Using the old global radio system. In this way, people are free to use the global chat to speak with other players in-character. To do so, you preface your text with *R*, or some variant on it such as *Radio*, in order to let other players know that you are using the radio system. Though not entirely realistic, this system allows instant communication between players (including those that might be lost, for example) and can greatly improve the atmosphere of those who might be lonesome by making the server feel more active.
    2. The second system is similar to the first. In this way, you would use global chat to announce that your character is trying to speak with others on a specific frequency, like this: *R* Someone is trying to contact others on frequency 100! In this way, global functions much in the same way that it is used to get in touch with other characters, but with keeping the potential chat spam out of it. Keep in mind, the in-game radios do not reach across our playing area, and as such this system may not work as well when attempting to contact others over long distances.
    So, what do you all think? Personally, I am for bringing option 1 back again. Though the chat spam can become irritating, I do not believe that it proves as much of a problem as the system proves helpful. New players who have no clue where people live would have an easy time getting in touch with others, and overall it will make the server feel more "alive" in character activity. After all, most of you are probably aware by now just how alone you can feel despite there being 15 others online besides you.

Note: Please respond to this thread with your thoughts on the subject as well. Posted responses carry far more weight to them than a simple poll vote do - after all, we may not go with the decision that has more votes if the vote counts are close enough. Ultimately, the decision is ours, so your job is to convince us one way or the other.

2. Pann

Pann God of Thunder
    Staff Member Take All My Money! AGN Community Manager Map Builder Owner Contributor

I chose option 1. I do want to make sure that people will still have the OPTION to use option 2 even with option 1. So if players wanted to say, hey I'm doing a radio broadcast on "channel 99" or all of the Stonepoint players have a specific channel and on *R* "Stonepoint Manor is trying to reach their members.* or something like that.

a rabbit likes this.
  3. Phobia

Phobia Member

It'd be impossible to avoid some level of meta based on option 1. I dont want to hear entire conversations I'm not related to.

Option 2 is less intrusive but still a bit iffy because the in-game radios kind of suck. You can be locked in a closet with your radio and someone on the other end can hear the emotes of people outside your building. Again, meta, but made worse by the fact that the receiver doesn't even know she could be listening in on things she physically wouldnt be able to hear.

Are there any other methods to circumvent the global or mech radio limitations?

4. Pann

Pann God of Thunder
    Staff Member Take All My Money! AGN Community Manager Map Builder Owner Contributor

In response to Phobia, the only thing I have seen is that the devs are working to make the "chat box" more user friendly. But add that on to the list of OTHER things they want to work on. At this time, I think those two options as well as ONLY mech radios are the available options.

5. Manic Pixie

Manic Pixie Dream Girl
    Forum Mod Contributor

Definitely leaning towards option #2, mostly for the reasons that Phobia outlined in favor of avoiding a global radio. The mechanical radios do suck a butt, but I think it's the less obnoxious option. I'd be all for a global radio when the chat box can be organized into multiple tabs, but who knows when the secretive chat box updates are gonna come out, or what they'll even include.

John/Jane Doe and Draco like this.
  6. Draco

Draco New Member
    RPer of the Month

I'm down with the second system, my main issue concerning the first one seems to be the fact of the potential chat spam (as said above by Pixie and rabbit). Conversations can vary in lengths between characters, and the possibility of a long drawn out conversation between a group could come across as somewhat distracting, as you'd have to sit and scroll through the chat-log to find your RP partner's text.
    Instituting the first option would primarily be done to help the new players find others to RP with, a common complaint I've seen through the forums these past couple of days. The second option could easily solve the problem. Regarding new characters / players to have the option to talk through the radio, perhaps attaching a decent radio to every character kit could be done? It's not too far-fetched for almost everyone to have a radio at this point.

xxvenomxxbro likes this.
  7. Legion

Legion Your tears sustain me
    Staff Member Owner

I like option 2 because with simply using the global chatr, everyone magically has a radio that scans all channels and has in infinite battery.... even if they never actually found one or even have a mechanical radio on them. The primary reason that the global chat system stopped being used for radios in the first place was that people hated the fact that everyone and their mother heard the radio transmissions. Then there was the issue that there essentially became only a single channel. You could not have a secret frequency for just you and your group to talk long distances without the entire map knowing what you were saying.

Then you have the issue of having 2 groups wanting to talk on the radio to their own people but not each other. Essentially, who ever uses the radio first controls the radio because as we all know, having multiple coversations on global creates a lot of confusion.

Global radios that everyone can see also has a nasty habbit of even unintentionally bleeding meta. Even if people play not having a radio, they inevitably end up seeing things in the chat they shouldnt know. Minor detail but its still there in a way thats more previlent than with mechanical radios.

Then, we have the custom radios mod which greatly increased the radio distances. They also increased the radio distances in the base game. The only The only real issue with using mechanical radios is equiping them while in battle and also the fact Jians chat mod he was working on does not work with radios unfortunatly.

8. Andrew Noah

Andrew Noah Lore Assistant - Admin
    Contributor

People who voted for system 1 enjoy meta

harperers likes this.
  9. Pann

Pann God of Thunder

No- I enjoy people easily being able to join in. It’s tough being a hardcore rp server and still managing to be welcoming to new players and those new to rp in general. I even miss some of the humor that went from a little bit of the old over global that we don’t have any more.

Meta, sure there’s going to be some of that. But building that sense of community and helpfulness I think outweighs the meta.

10. Pann

Pann God of Thunder

All that said, if the radios worked easier, if the game had a simpler UI I don’t think we’d be having this discussion, but it’s not.

Manic Pixie likes this.
  11. Legion

Legion Your tears sustain me
    Staff Member Owner

Technically speaking though, it would still be possible to use mechanical radios even if the base radio system moved onto the global chat..... so I guess if your in a faction and want the chat to be faction only, that would be a way...

Pann likes this.
  12. MindGate

MindGate Totally Overkill - LORE MASTER
    Staff Member Lore master Event Staff

What Legion said, especially now that factions have their own forum threads. We can start listing different frequencies over that, or even just IC. I think we can easily combine both of these options and have the best of both worlds.

Pann likes this.
  13. Phobia

Phobia Member

What if we moved away from the zomboid chat entirely? Didn't we have some kinda discord thing for telephone calls in the Ashwood lore?

RickDeckard likes this.
  14. RickDeckard

RickDeckard Australian Admin (Emu jokes = Ban)
    Staff Member Contributor

System 1 shall kill my immersion.
    System 2 is slightly more tolerable.

But I am in favour of the Status Quo so.

Pann likes this.
  15. Pann

Pann God of Thunder

That's the spirit Emu.

16. harperers

harperers Dead Inside
    Map Builder First to Die Contributor

I dont see any of the merits of a global radio besides chat spam and metagaming. It may be slightly more convenient for new players, but it would be just as easy for them to use system 2, unless they are either completely inept at pz, or they dont have a radio, (in which case they shouldnt be trying to contact anyone over the radio at all!)

Glad to see system 2 is winning, atleast.

#16 harperers, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  17. xxvenomxxbro

xxvenomxxbro New Member

Could we up the radio range of HAM radios? They are great and all but overall rare and not much in the way of better range. A premium HAM is the same as a Tactical walkie.

18. MrBlue

MrBlue Newdawn Lifer

[​IMG]
    Just posting this if it's of any use, take it into consideration when putting in your vote. I believe this should be accurate. I went for option 2 personally, although I was initially going for 1. Option 1 makes having a radio a non-issue where it should be, I'd liken it to just RPing a gun when you might not really have one (I understand it's for convenice's sake, but the point still stands) a radio is just as valuable an item ideally imho.

xxvenomxxbro and RickDeckard like this.
  19. a rabbit

a rabbit Administrator
    Staff Member Senior Admin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
RolePlayer of the Month Information Factions
-->