Mysteries of Ashwood Cove Revealed

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by Devon, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Server Status
    Hi Guest,

We have an issue with the chatbox when we updated to the weather build. The dev seems to claimed that they have fixed this bug in the IWBUMS version.

To join the server, please install the IWBUMS version via the beta tab.

Your friendly Dorumon,
    jianmingyong
  2. ROLEPLAYER OF THE MONTH

Winners for July:

Draco
    Joe

Both players won a FREE Item Rename.

If you'd like to vote for someone for August 

Vote Here

Dismiss Notice
  3. Information

View the lore information BEFORE posting an application.

Event Notices

>Click here to view<

Character Creation Information

>Click here to view<

Lore Information

>Click here to view<

4. Factions News

Click the link to view information regarding playable IC Factions

>> Click HERE for Lore Information <<

Dismiss Notice
?

What Was Your Favorite Thing About the Ashwood Cove Lore?

Poll closed Jul 2, 2018.
  1. Small town map which made RP accessible and fun?

56.5%
  2. A non-traditional zombie lore?

69.6%
  3. Cult shiccanery and mafia-style mystery?

52.2%
  4. Creepy magic monsters, resurrection, and everything in between?

13.0%
  5. A more realistic police force than ever before?

17.4%
  6. The creative map choices? (Hedge maze, cult bases, etc.)

30.4%
  7. The bunker? (Yes, this is a serious question. If you liked it, no shame.)

8.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Devon

Devon Administrator
    Staff Member Lore Moderator Contributor + Contributor

Mysteries of Ashwood Cove Revealed

Hello Lads and Lasses.

Assuming the Ashwood Cove lore isn't coming back (as many suspect), I thought it'd be fun to hear everyone's secrets from it.

Did your character have a secret?
    Were YOU a murderous cultist?
    Do you know why my house blew up?
    S̶p̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶i̶t̶!̶

You've come to the right place.

I'll bump this post with my own shenanigans soon enough.

If anyone decides spilling the AWC lore's secrets might harm anything, I'll take the thread down. No offense taken or intended.

Cheers,

Hightoddler

(P.S: T
    he current lore is still going! And it's about to be even more fun! So don't get too distracted, Internet-person.)

#1 Devon, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Tucker and AmongTheCold like this.
  2. John/Jane Doe

John/Jane Doe Still Alive.

Sonny was actually Steven Bennett in disguise.

Tucker and Devon like this.
  3. Manic Pixie

Manic Pixie Dream Girl
    Contributor

I'd just like to say that I don't want the AC lore to come back, and I don't think anybody should. It was a fantastic lore, but let's leave it in the past. Cannibalize (heh) the best parts of it, use our collective creative noodles to mold those parts into something new, and move forward. Rehashing carbon copies of prior lores will be a stop gap to our inactivity problem at best.

That said, it was a dope lore that I recall fondly, and the secret that I'll share with you all is this:

The actual leader of Steepspire (also known as Hightower by laymen) was Bilbo the Dog, who developed psychokinetic and telekinetic powers very early in the lore and began to orchestrate anti-cult activities vis-a-vis unwilling but integral and hapless humans.

John/Jane Doe and Devon like this.
  4. Devon

Devon Administrator

For sure. I'd rather it not be ressurected either, but I wanted to put that disclaimer in the main post on the off chance any admins were planning on recycling the overarching story or making a prequel / sequel type lore. **I'd rather that didn't happen either**, but felt dat disclaimer was important because ya never know amiright?

Also, too, I'm crossing my fingers that if anyone posts some deeper lore stuff they've either encountered or created through RP, it might give the admins and playerbase alike a little more insight into some of the deeper mechanics and politics which made Ashwood Cove so successful--then using that knowledge for current and future lore mechanics.

For example: We already know the mafia-style mechanics and small town worked really well. But if someone posts something like, "Hey, actually I was planning a character assassination for two weeks with Norah and Bennett," that's totally something worth mentioning which could help factor in some of those unseen benefits the atmosphere created.

Balbo the Droog is immortal.

#4 Devon, Jun 2, 2018
  5. player of games

lucchesi was a cultist and i got nothing to do as him pertaining to the cult

collins was just a normal cop

Devon likes this.
  6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The biggest question is.. Who stole Peyton's dog from the murder apartment?!

The colors of Little Spider's personas based themselves on basic emotions and biblical sins, such as wrath, envy, pride, greed, and lust and so on and the whole "Little Spider" acted as a glue to keep the shattered psyche somewhat contained. I believe Arthur and some more figured that out and convinced Mircea to kneel down and kiss her hand to "return orange", aka Pride, who was lost after being punched in the face by Sean. Talk about unconventional apology to a crazed brain. As crazy and nuts as she was she still was quite perceptive and hence the 'names' she gave those around came from their original name or the environment around them.

Elf-King was Alvin and that was given from the meaning of the name itself. The name in the past was associated with elves in a certain culture in the past and thus the "Elf-King" was born. Other names were more easily constructed. Wendy's "Phoenix" or Arina's "Eastern Jewel".

And lastly... The name. Little Spider's real name was Naomi Webb.

And Novak found herself involved with curses(ash prints), witches and covens towards the end of the lore but i don't recall much as I retired her.

Devon I won't lie, I want to see your notes!

Devon likes this.
  7. Devon

Devon Administrator

I'm working on it lmao. Unfortunately there are a lot, so I want to make sure they're posted with lots of reference points, names, and stuff. Otherwise it'll be a huge mess. And it'd be a hassle for anyone to read and actually map out what was said, to who, and when.

Trust me: I made plenty of mistakes with that project. I'll do my best to relay the actual facts, say what I was trying to do, and definitely point out where I flubbed up. It'll be cool to see what actually landed, and whether or not a flub-up was so bad that it resulted in an innocent death, or something.

#7 Devon, Jun 2, 2018
  8. Devon

Devon Administrator

Also, witches and covens? See, I never heard of any of that business. On my end, I'd always figured the ash handprints were something left over from the cult trials. As well as Novak's hell dreams we'd RPed about.

Was that tied into the goat at all? Or were the witches and covens seperate from the cult itself? I was talking to another player recently about some of the inner-cult stuff going down, and it was pretty interesting to hear that different players got entirely different sections of cult lore.

Presumably (or this is just my best stab at it), maybe the idea was to get players to have info to share / hide from one another?

Either way, those puzzle pieces when put together could probably help with the bigger picture. Iirc, Arthur Lewis actually uncovered the cult's origin history which was pretty fun to learn about, post-lore

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My memory is just awful and I struggle to recall what I did a couple of days ago so what I say here and there may be incorrect when it comes to past lores but the ash itself was related with the hell nightmares and one of the mini-event demons that showed up. Witches and covens came into play a bit later in attempt to remove a curse but I retired that character soon after so there's no end to that story sadly.

Devon likes this.
  10. MindGate

MindGate Totally Overkill
    Staff Member Lore master

Secrets, okay.

Marcus was a normal cop who absolutely hated nearly everyone in town for being edgy and relating to demons. That's the reason he always so annoyed and rarely worked with citizens on a more personal level. How can you trust people you saw singing along at a campfire with a trickster demon, while they know its a trickster ... because information? News flash trickster demon.

Suited Man was from -redacted-.

Harlan was some dude that I retired because people instantly called me a cultist in the pre-outbreak stage because I had deer I killed in my shed. I never really could get into him after that.

Jared Vaugerson, my FBI agent? He unknowingly prior run-ins with the cult. It was one of his previous investigations that led to his prior partner being killed. He was supposed to go into further detail on this, and help with the larger investigations pre-apoc and post but most of us know what happened, and it is a damn shame. Bad luck w/group apps.

Addition:

Decided I wanted to share more about Jared's past, and backstory secret. Pretty much, after the death of his partner who he was at the time in a romantic relationship with ... he got obsessed with finding out what actually happened.

This pretty much led him on a long spiraling investigation off-duty until he was finally chosen for a pretty "routine" abduction case. He was contacted by someone in town prior to actually arriving about how "answers" would come to him in Ashwood.

Pretty much, he was always out for his own interests. He had a case he wanted to solve and it unfortunately did not always include Cassie's brother.

Remy Gennaro, my private investigator, simple story with him. He got hired to look into the case involving the cultists, got arrested because he watched his partner die due to police incompetence and then got held for nearly an IRL week on no grounds because he was apparently stalling as he tried to tell the police everything he knew about the case. Couldn't get back into this character after that, either.

Remember, guys ... a handwritten note given to you by a teenage girl who admitted that she would try to murder a witness a few days prior is reliable evidence and grounds to hold someone.

Not going to go into any detail on The Masked Man. That is a story I'd rather not share. :D

#10 MindGate, Jun 2, 2018
    Devon, player of games and Tucker like this.
  11. player of games

amen to that brother

AmongTheCold and MindGate like this.
  12. Devon

Devon Administrator

:zipper_mouth_face:

MindGate likes this.
  13. AmongTheCold

AmongTheCold New Dawn Lifer
    Contributor

Arthur had become a cultist rather than start as one. As he was somewhat forced to after the trials. Though, he did turn turncoat and go into the bunker either way.

He also had nearly figured out the origin of the cult in Ashwood Cove.

So in short, no he wasn't a bad guy.

Devon, Tucker and MindGate like this.
  14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Killed mardek for a meme

15. Devon

Devon Administrator

@player of games,

If you don't mind me asking, I've always wondered why Collins seemed to back away when cult shenanigans started unfolding.

I actually witnessed Collins watch a masked cultist lady (who I figured was Maisie) leave Ander Snoop's radio station in the middle of the night. Iirc, he was chilling in his cruiser, saw that ish, and just sort of ignored it.

At the time, it was pretty funny to see you dismiss this in RP. Iirc (flawed memory), I think you even emoted something like *Collins doesn't give a shit.* or something lol.

Was there any deeper reasoning as to why Collins just sort of let shit happen?

Or did you / Collins just genuinely not give a shit and do it for comic relief? (Which is cool too. No judgement.)

#15 Devon, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    Tucker likes this.
  16. player of games

Honestly? The whole cult thing fucking terrified him. He didn't want to end up getting flayed alive like Maxine or burned like the kid. He did his best to protect people and do his job without getting actively hunted by the cult.

Tucker, Manic Pixie and Devon like this.
  17. Devon

Devon Administrator

Dope. Yeah, I really liked how the lore made it scary af to fight against the cult. I think one of the lesser-talked-about highlights of that lore was honestly figuring out how to help without getting sacrificed lol

Manic Pixie and player of games like this.
  18. AmongTheCold

Contributor

Ronnie Astors was a cultist, as probably everyone knew. Also, he died trying to sabotage the cult and help the people cause he went in too deep.

Ronnie and Anders were on the brink of revealing the information to the police, as Ronnie informed Anders he was a cultist and that he had the aliases and even speculation to some identities of who the cultists were.

19. Tucker

Tucker The Canadian Moose
    Staff Member

If I remember correctly, Collins just let 90% of the freaky shit that went on in Ashwood slide under the rug.

“Anders has several wanted people and literal gods walking in and out of his home?. . . Eh.”

20. AmongTheCold

Contributor

I WANT DOUG INFO.

Server Status RolePlayer of the Month Information Factions
-->