Mysteries of Ashwood Cove Revealed

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by Devon, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Server Status
    Hi Guest,

We have an issue with the chatbox when we updated to the weather build. The dev seems to claimed that they have fixed this bug in the IWBUMS version.

To join the server, please install the IWBUMS version via the beta tab.

Your friendly Dorumon,
    jianmingyong
  2. ROLEPLAYER OF THE MONTH

Winners for July:

Draco
    Joe

Both players won a FREE Item Rename.

If you'd like to vote for someone for August 

Vote Here

Dismiss Notice
  3. Information

View the lore information BEFORE posting an application.

Event Notices

>Click here to view<

Character Creation Information

>Click here to view<

Lore Information

>Click here to view<

4. Factions News

Click the link to view information regarding playable IC Factions

>> Click HERE for Lore Information <<

Dismiss Notice
?

What Was Your Favorite Thing About the Ashwood Cove Lore?

Poll closed Jul 2, 2018.
  1. Small town map which made RP accessible and fun?

56.5%
  2. A non-traditional zombie lore?

69.6%
  3. Cult shiccanery and mafia-style mystery?

52.2%
  4. Creepy magic monsters, resurrection, and everything in between?

13.0%
  5. A more realistic police force than ever before?

17.4%
  6. The creative map choices? (Hedge maze, cult bases, etc.)

30.4%
  7. The bunker? (Yes, this is a serious question. If you liked it, no shame.)

8.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. VCarrasola

VCarrasola Master of the Crops Nation

i eat 40 pages of app for breakfast

MindGate likes this.
  2. harperers

harperers Dead Inside
    Map Builder First to Die Contributor

lol mindgate was the only one who voted that they liked the bunker.

John/Jane Doe likes this.
  3. MindGate

MindGate Totally Overkill
    Staff Member Lore master

#bunkerlife

sometimes we make sacrifices for the memes

xxvenomxxbro and AmongTheCold like this.
  4. Devon

Devon Administrator
    Staff Member Lore Moderator Contributor + Contributor

Cool, cool. I'll edit my comment because I didn't know the whole admin-end of things. From a civ player standpoint, it's just what it felt like.

But it seems ya boi Devon has dun goofed, so apologies in that department for going too far with those assumptions.

Either way, a lot of the players do still hold punches when it comes to character killing (myself included). I know you're one to utilize character killing for story fuel--and a few other dudes and dudettes do, too--but it's just something to think about.

Not that it can be fixed, much like the age-old problem youve pointed out that players do need to be reminded of: We players gotta punch that throttle and help with making RP, even as baddies.

#44 Devon, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  5. MindGate

Staff Member Lore master

Obv. Don't think I'm tearing into you or anything, just wanted the admin side to be known.

6. John/Jane Doe

John/Jane Doe Still Alive.

There is one thing none of you are considering and that is that Devon is never wrong.

Lucky Duck, VCarrasola, Devon and 2 others like this.
  7. harperers

harperers Dead Inside
    Map Builder First to Die Contributor

where are all these punches being pulled on poor harperers.

Honestly though, in most rp servers people expect to be practically immortal (unless you willingly sacrifice yourself), which is why i never really got around to many servers. And many players that come to ND come with that mindset as well.

In order for there to be good RP, there needs to be conflict. In order for their to be conflict, there has to be real danger

(I.E bandits that wont pull punches, zombies that are actually dangerous, or hunger)

#47 harperers, Jun 21, 2018
    Devon likes this.
  8. John/Jane Doe

John/Jane Doe Still Alive.

Yes and I agree with that, but on the other hand there has to be logic behind these deaths. Ie not an army of admin NPCs (That you cant fight) killing you, not for a decision you made, but to drive their story and using your character as bait for that.

Chaos Theory and Devon like this.
  9. Devon

Devon Administrator

Absolutely. And bandits holding back punches can make a lore feel stale. It's a pitfall I think people get into once it comes down to the wire, and also something I've personally contributed to.

I'm not sure if any other punch-holding players are out there (or if they even exist, it's just my guess that they do) but what are your thoughts on all of this?

On my end, it's mostly about not ruining the other person's lore if they have a long-running character I know they've either become really attached to or who they've invested a lot of time in. It's just a habit I've picked up from the tabletop days where we'd all grab a coffee or beer, sit down, and RP together.

There was always just that understood "I've got you fam" mindset where we'd maim, torture, or severely hinder someone's character but wouldn't completely eliminate them from the game/lore.

This lore around, I temp retired someone's character for this reason. I chalked it up to creating a fun situation wherein they could eventually return and exact revenge on me. In my mind, this seemed more conducive to a thrilling story while also getting me more involved by adding that "I'm being hunted" neuroticism down the line. And also because the player seemed pretty into their character at the time.

This isn't to say they asked to be spared. I pulled them aside, OOCly, and proposed that middleground idea. Ironically, they even suggested I just kill them because that's the name of the game.

Either way, stunts like that can absolutely make a lore feel stale--whether they're performed by players or admins.

#49 Devon, Jun 21, 2018
  10. Devon

Devon Administrator

And I think that's a solid foundation for it all: Pausing to ask ourselves whether that character death enhances the story. Even if the death is harsh, cutting, and seemingly meaningless--I'd imagine it could also be suggested that this element can enhance a lore story by making it feel more intense.

#50 Devon, Jun 21, 2018
  11. VCarrasola

VCarrasola Master of the Crops Nation

12. MindGate

Staff Member Lore master

If you were killed by any sort of NPC. It was absolutely due to a decision you made, and the entire team recognizes that, or else I would've been removed from my position by Legion nearly immediately after the fact.

Draco likes this.
  13. Stillbrew

Stillbrew Member

Contrary to popular belief, Randall wasn't a cultist, nor was he insane.

Lore endgame was him getting to the bunker. That happened, lore finished.

14. Lil_Bit

Lil_Bit Member

The Lore got extremely tangled, but I tried to focus on the spookier aspects of the Cult, and though it was never meant to happen, The Goat became a core focus character where originally she had not been.

Hattie Blake was this generation's Chosen to be The Goat.

The Blake family were cultists, and Hattie grew up with her farm animals, her pets, and even her own siblings being given over and sacrificed to their arm of the cult. She herself was violently mangled in a cult ritual gone wrong, though she blamed her scars on a wild animal attack...which was not too far from the truth, being attacked by her own brother as he descended into feral madness and fled into the woods of Maine. Though Hattie was quiet and slow to speak, hers is a quiet and stalwart strength, and though it was not expected, she was Chosen to bear the mantle of The Goat.

The Goat was actually, despite her foreboding appearance and mysterious ways, not truly an antagonist of the story. She was one of the very few surviving cultists who stuck to tradition by following the sacrificial rituals to make sure that the Gates Below Ashwood were kept closed. Though she mourned the children and victims whose blood was given to keep the gate secure, she saw it as a gruesome responsibility and a necessity to keep the rest of the people safe. As a cultist and as a person, she generally kept to herself and her forests, so only made a few appearances now and again at first.

She was betrayed along with the rest of the town when their sacrifices were altered and the gates opened, but although the rest of the Cult turned on her, she could not be slain and fled into the woods. There she gathered her servants and began reaching out to others inside Ashwood, trying to rebuild her own brand of cultists to fight back.

Hers was a much more subtle and kind of magicy way of going about things. She could not risk herself to being killed by other Cultists or the townspeople, so sent her beasts by proxy to sway those who wandered to her side. Hence the talking beasts of Ashwood Cove. and why she targeted some individuals to summon and offer bargains. Which is what they were; bargains. The Goat never forced her will and always offered them a choice. Some she offered a form of salvation to, others she offered gifts from the wilds, and others she returned from the very grave itself...but there was a recurring theme with everyone who dealt with The Goat: Sacrifice. From plants and beasts to human lives, she always asked her chosen ones to pay a price for their prize...to prepare her new cultists to return to the old ways, old ways that would still demand blood in the end. Those she convinced to 'join' her such as Wylla, Avina, and others would eventually reform her cult loyalists and return the sacrificial ways of old to the forefront, if they won in the end and she was not deposed.

She was actually a sort of ally to the Survivors, but could rarely act directly and was generally mistrusted. Many would have attacked her on sight. She was eventually going to reveal who and what she was to the others and take a step in leading the survivors against the Cult proper, or fight them if they attacked her too. But the lore imploded and Goat imploded with it. Beeeeehhh.

Devon and MindGate like this.
  15. Bill Chompski

Bill Chompski New Dawn Lifer

I have a question for Cid
    what the fuck was this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. AmongTheCold

AmongTheCold New Dawn Lifer
    Contributor

According to Google Translate, the latin reads out to:

I have desired it to the bound, know you this and was sent to the rising of the second time is wasted, in the madness of the black blood in the depths of eldritch. I wanted to hold her breasts writhing Yibbum Tstall.

17. El Cid

El Cid The Old Man (apparently)
    Take All My Money! Contributor + Contributor The Old Man

Ahh.... listen... Ashwood Cove was a strange time man...

Devon likes this.
  18. AmongTheCold

AmongTheCold New Dawn Lifer
    Contributor

Papa Cid.

Server Status RolePlayer of the Month Information Factions
-->