General News State of the New Dawn Union Address

Discussion in 'News' started by El Cid, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Information

View the lore information BEFORE posting an application.

Event Notices

>Click here to view<

Character Creation Information

>Click here to view<

Lore Information

>Click here to view<

2. Invite your friends

Invite your friends and get a free Project Zomboid key

Read More

3. Factions News

Click the link to view information regarding playable IC Factions

>> Click HERE for Lore Information <<

Dismiss Notice
  1. El Cid

El Cid The Old Man (apparently)
    The Old Man

Now, by a show of hands, how many of you clicked on this expecting this to be bad news? :D Ok so, as you all are aware by now, unfortunately this lore has had a rocky start. Map issues, economy issues, item wipes, etc etc... We've heard from many of you, and I want you all to know it's not falling on def ears. Now that doesn't mean that every piece of feedback we hear we agree with or can implement, but much of it I think we can.

So, let me begin with a personal apology for the map issues and the economy. Those both fall on my shoulders as Senior Admin to push and make work. As far as the map, we playtested it prior to lore launch several times. We spawned literal thousands of zombies with absolutely no issues. When the server went live, we had everyone join, and that's when the issues started. Those issues were: 1.) The map had tiles on it for trees and flowers, particularly in the mall area. Apparently, even though they had grass or dirt under them, PZ was reading them as invalid, and throwing up 20-30 error messaged for each player as they loaded into a new chunk. 2.) The natural PZ car spawns were throwing up an error I haven't seen before, which was basically 'invalid car location, removing off map vehicle spawns'. Considering we didn't have any off map, I do not know how to explain that one.

Combine both of those together, the errors combined were crashing the server. Since then, we have turned off auto-spawned cars and spawn locations on the map, removed the tiles that were causing the errors, and I believe Legion increased the available memory on the server itself to help. Since then, no issues with the map crashing that I'm aware of.

Now, on to the economy. Mind has been trying to push this, but with map issues and other admin related items, I didn't provide enough backup for him. He is the Lore Master, and has a lot on his plate, so that's on me. To that end, for those of you who haven't heard or haven't got, we will be providing cash to each player. Please let an admin know when you are online and they can spawn it for you. I will be publishing a price list for stores and non-player owned businesses tonight (as much as I can gather right now). Player owned businesses, like our wonderful mechanics for example, can set their own prices as they see fit.

Events. So events will start ramping up now that we have solved the map issues, re-spawned items and cars, etc etc. I have seen what Mind has planned for the beginning, and I believe it is freakin' fantastic. There are a LOT of layers to the onion to peel off and uncover as players, but I won't spoil it for you. :D

ALSO! Just for those of you who are unaware or forgot, there is a criminal arc planned for this lore. While criminals are *still* subject to the Astoria Police if they get caught, there will be a large arc for them to play (and for non-criminals to interact with and/or discover). Right now, we are short on criminals. I know right? So for those of you with a hankerin for a hunk of chee.... I mean illegal stuff, come on down!!! You're the next contestant on the Price is Wrong!

We are also running benign events for players to gather, such as JJ's pool tournament at Frankies, the job fair and some other things potentially in the works.

Finally, we have a happy announcement to end on! The admins, in conjunction with the Rand Corporation, would like you to extend a warm welcome to our newest admin, the ultra fabulous, Star! She will be joining the team tonight (or maybe tomorrow cause a lot to do tonight), and has already been helping us on her own. Star, welcome to the team!

[​IMG]

To conclude, I would like to right the ship further, get it running smoothly, and have an excellent lore. I encourage you all to join in, have fun, and if anyone has concerns, comments, criticism, coconuts or cash, please hit me up on PM's or otherwise, and I'll do my best to help out. In honor of the late, great Stan Lee - EXCELSIOR!!!

2. Alex12

Alex12 Member

yeah uh... I'm not part of them, but a friend is.

what happened to the characters that have a job in one of the companies?

3. El Cid

El Cid The Old Man (apparently)
    The Old Man

I will defer to Mind on that, as he has the full concept. However, there has been heavy discussion over the last couple days, so I expect news to come soon to those characters.

4. Manic Pixie

Manic Pixie Dream Girl
    Contributor

Am I the only one who really doesn't care that we don't have a paper economy? It seems to me that just roleplaying money has worked fine thus far, and I think that expecting the admin team to hand out cash and keep up with who should earn how much on a weekly basis—as outlined previously—is a little excessive. Particularly when you consider that the economy will collapse the second we step outside "pre-apocalypse," even if this lore does so non-traditionally.

Just seems like a lot of work on an already stressed team for no real payoff.

Yarn, piggs, MindGate and 1 other person like this.
  5. Legion

Legion Your tears sustain me
    Staff Member Owner

I know personally, I have been on the side of a sole RP based economy which would likely change to a trade goods based economy with an apocalypse. However.... there has been some "voicing of concerns" lets call it regarding not having a paper economy. You know.. the whole "world is ending" type of mentioning.

I know we tried it before and it was like, a ton of work. Mostly because this game does not lend itself to using an economy. I know at some point I would like to look into the creation of an economy mod but... its just not feasible at this time as it would be a lot of work to get it created and running properly. By that I mean.... think of GTAV. You have a bank and any money on you could be stolen. From there, a back-end could be created for admins to manipulate the bank accounts... like paychecks getting added in. But like I said.... TONS of work to make something like that.

As for economy crashing.... it might not. People would likely hold to money for a time before switching to trade goods based. Basically, once they collectively agree the government is gone, they will revert to like... trading whatever is most usefull.. food.... gas, etc.

Warden likes this.
  6. MindGate

MindGate Totally Overkill
    Staff Member Lore master

We have had a few issues on the admin team pertaining to the following of our written lore. These will have things coming to them sooner rather than later, I'll be sending PMs to those who took jobs with the company explaining the roles there and where you should be. I do offer my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience.

7. piggs

piggs Member
    Contributor

If handing out money is too much I can understand just having post-it notes in stores, describing the prices. Players would write down what they bought after taking items + the total cost, and if they describe having an unrealistic amount of money (per their character app) or make unreasonable purchases (eg buying 80 watermelons or buying an ALICE pack as a 9 year old), admins can have a chat with them. Basically what the server's done before without any physical items.

Realistically money would be used by some people during the apocalypse, but I think a lot of people would have trouble playing out that denial with the OOC knowledge that cash is about to be useless, and with the IC knowledge that there aren't even any stores open.

But idk, I'm fine with whatever as long as players get to use the shops at some point.

8. Legion

Legion Your tears sustain me
    Staff Member Owner

I had an alice pack as a 9 year old I got from an Army Navy store. Then again, I wanted to be a soldier as a kid

piggs and John/Jane Doe like this.
  9. Manic Pixie

Manic Pixie Dream Girl
    Contributor

it was nice of alice to give you her pack

piggs and John/Jane Doe like this.