Input Requested The server and the food situation.

Discussion in 'Server' started by a rabbit, Jul 9, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Information

View the lore information BEFORE posting an application.

Event Notices

>Click here to view<

Character Creation Information

>Click here to view<

Lore Information

>Click here to view<

3. Factions News

Click the link to view information regarding playable IC Factions

>> Click HERE for Lore Information <<

Dismiss Notice
  1. a rabbit

a rabbit Administrator
    Staff Member Senior Admin

I'll keep this one short: it's no mystery that the vast majority of players in the game right now have an over-abundance of food. There's virtually no conflict to be had over food stores or the like, as frankly, many have so much that to bother with fighting to get more is completely nonsensical.

Here's the question--do you think that the large stores of food are a problem, and if so, what should be done to combat it? We have a few ideas of our own on the admin team (and don't need permission to enact any of them, mind you), but we want to hear potential solutions from the playerbase themselves.

What do you think?

2. Chaos Theory

Chaos Theory Active Member
    Contributor

Can't speak for any other settlements or safehouses but me having a single fridge full of food is nothing big to my mind. Mind you you cannot forage in this map and it's virtually impossible to feed one self only from fishes all the time. Everyone always wants to make the game harder, more difficult. Don't get too carried away now. Leave the food as it is and with the lack of actual foraging it'll dwindle sooner or later.

xxvenomxxbro likes this.
  3. Phobia

Phobia Member

We could forage a few days ago, its just bugged out right now. I have a stock of fiddlehead ferns from foraging just the other week. I would guess foraging will be back soon enough.

I'm doing my part by eating food as often as I can like a pig. The good news is that the map has been pretty much cleared out of food. There's an occasional outlying building with a can of beans left, but for the most part the town is empty. That means whoever comes in new will be in trouble and established powers will be sitting pretty.

A blanket removal of a percent of food stores might work, though it would feel like a bit of a slap to the face. Might I suggest a friendly trader come to town, willing to trade bullets to bean cans at a ratio greatly favoring the trader? The influx of bullets should spark the hotheaded to open fire a bit more readily, which combined with the food reduction might help to foster that conflict you were mentioning.

Manic Pixie, Jaded and Chaos Theory like this.
  4. Chaos Theory

Chaos Theory Active Member
    Contributor

I'd be all for an option to trade it off for something else, sure, but having it removed or face the dreaded and awful note stating how magical mouse has eaten 75 percent of your food would just kill the motivation.

To be honest I'd be fine with almost everything as long as the players are given a choice in the matter. Sell or not. If one day I log in and see most of my shit gone because of an admin I'll be mad, I won't lie.

5. Pann

Pann God of Thunder
    Staff Member Take All My Money! Map Builder Contributor

To combat a couple of mech issues, I suggest a ticket be used for foraging/farming issues. Right now its impossible to forage and HARD to farm realistically. I've come home to dead plants I cant TELL you how many times. Its also too difficult to find canning supplies. I suggest that if a player can submit some RP about farming or foraging, and have no mech results from it, admin can add in items that they would have gotten (were looking for).

If your potato plant dies, then get some potatoes, if you were looking for berries, then we give you berries. But only after a ticket, and a screenshot of actual roleplay about it. We roleplay everything else - I for one am up for rewarding RP with IC items that are justified but the game breaks.

I DONT think we should remove food items, but I think winter should be ROUGH this year. Make you SOB's eat all your canned goods to stay alive.

Chaos Theory likes this.
  6. Lemis

Lemis Member

For large factions, I think food should be obtained from 'quests', mini events per se. Allow a large abundance of food if the player works for it rather than spam clicking the items from a building, and if they don't, they starve. I actually think that mini events hosted for the retrieval of food would promote more faction based combat, rp scenario's, story telling and overall immersive experiences.

7. Phobia

Phobia Member

I do like the idea of hunting being more in depth than just right clicking with some animal poop. Going out and role-playing hunting a buck would be nice. Or roleplaying out farming or chasing down some rumored MRE stash. Or we could resort to cannibalism. Thats good, too.

8. Andrew Noah

Andrew Noah Lore Assistant - Admin
    Contributor

Let's just have the virus infect the wildlife population and cause super mutations among the rodents. Giant rats! They'll tear apart your food in seconds if it's not secure.

9. MrBlue

MrBlue Newdawn Lifer

I honestly have never felt something as unrealistic in it's portrayal in the game as hunger really has much effect on tensions, but I'm all for this. (UNRELATED) In all honesty though if what we are trying to achieve is making the winter and game more rough, perhaps re-introducing something like the admins spawning zombies purposefully, and zombie invasions on faction bases when enough players are on, should be a thing again. I remember back on OG New Dawn when massive undead sieges on the Knob Creek base left us scarred for weeks as we'd struggle to recover the walls and such and try to maintain stability for our settlement.

MindGate likes this.
  10. MindGate

MindGate Totally Overkill - Lore Master
    Staff Member Lore master Event Staff

I remember this shit back in the Mall lore - maybe not as much, but god it was fun. I loved the event we did with the MASSIVE hordes attacking the bridge.

11. Alex12

Alex12 New Member

don't forget the spider mutant

12. Devon Robert

Devon Robert ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ
    Take All My Money! Lore Moderator Contributor

Yeah, I feel that. I feel those admin zombie spawns get a bad rap, unfortunately. Players may not like feeling targeted, but it's often too difficult for them to comprehend what exactly they've done to warrant zombie spawns. Maybe an established set of rules about that could help. Idk. Something like: "If you do X, Y, or Z, you might attract zombies."

I personally loved that raiders used to show up if you drew too much attention by stockpiling food. Made the game feel like Rimworld, or something.

13. MrBlue

MrBlue Newdawn Lifer

The thing about raiders is they feel too forced and inorganic, players SHOULD fill in this role. In actual fact maybe this post is right, maybe the food thing will help. But for raiders, it would honestly be shameful for us to need custom raider characters like from the Mall Lore to be run by admins instead of actual ones on the server.

14. Devon Robert

Devon Robert ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ
    Take All My Money! Lore Moderator Contributor

Very true. At the end of the day, loot bandits and base raiders increase a lore's conflict--which, imo, is a good thing. It can get out of hand, of course, but I also feel that a lot of conflict can be added until it becomes unhealthy to a lore (players separating, living alone, refusing to get close to others and form relationships, stuff like that.)

It'd be cool if players could fit that role for the admins, yeah. If they were admin-sanctioned, though, it's a big can of worms. I can imagine it'd be stressful for the admins to constantly watch out for those PC raiders. It'd open Pandora's Box with respect to RP, favoritism, possible meta, all kinds of things. It does sound great in theory but it might not work well in application, you know?

Either way, more bandits ain't bad. On the plus side, it seems like players are still contributing to faction tension--which is a pretty solid substitute for your typical bandits, if not better.

#14 Devon Robert, Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  15. MrBlue

MrBlue Newdawn Lifer

I don't even think there should be any admin intervention RP wise in this regard. Bandits, I feel, are just crucial for the RP server. There always need to be villains. The mistake people usually make with them is RPing themselves as thinking they're bad rather than more morally gray sticking to their own motivations, or going overboard, but I think the best way to remedy both of those is literally just educate the people playing them. Maybe while admins are doing the apps they can link guides, or even make them do small quizzes to see if the person knows their shit. The fact is though, not only are bandits good for a server, they are NEEDED.

As for admins watching over bandits when they step out of their line, this is a part of their job as mediators in the game. It doesn't mean people should go out of their way to break rules, not at all, but the position to regulate these situations is on them. Am I saying the admins should be held accountable when the bandits get out of hand? Not at all, the opposite in fact, as I've said people need to be educated on how to RP these well, but the admins do have a responsibility to make the inevitable miscreant every now and then be set in line. We all make mistakes, after all... :D

16. harperers

harperers Dead Inside
    Map Builder First to Die Contributor

I dont think we should change anything about it. Food has almost never been scarce on this server. IF a loner has hoarded enough food for 20 people, meanwhile a group is starving, then they can simply demand food from that person, since they vastly outnumber them, and morally they would assume they didn't need all that food anyways. Or they can even be reasoned with and trade for goods, if you are feeling generous (Despite outnumbering them vastly). If you cant find any hoarders, then you should send out people to search for them. No bases are really THAT hidden unless they are in the middle of the woods. (which i haven't seen much of this lore)

What im trying to say is hoarders should be dealt with IC, not with an admin intervention or an ooc despawning of all the food.

#16 harperers, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  17. AmongTheCold

AmongTheCold New Dawn Lifer

Did you forget the part where you spawned too many and it was a literal thousand of them? Because I didn't, that shit was scary. And fun.

18. MindGate

(It wasn't an accident)

19. AmongTheCold

AmongTheCold New Dawn Lifer

(That's why you gave out mass heals, right?)

20. MindGate

(I didn't give out mass heals. Someone else did.)